01 July, 2010

Almost done! And Professional Development

Okay, so I've only got a few hours left before the deadline to finish this bike I've been working on in my "spare" time. It won't actually be "finished", but it might be close enough to please the judges in this on-line build off that I entered a few months ago. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it so far. It's actually a bit closer to done now than it was when I took this photo yesterday:


Good stuff. Practical? No way. Fast? Probably not. Why build stuff like this? Ummm, well, people climb Mt. Everest "because it's there", maybe I do this kind of thing for the opposite reason; because it isn't there. It's just an outlet for my creativity, I guess. I certainly learn a lot whenever I do something like this--I'd never built any kind of I-beam frame before, nor had I ever built a girder front end before, (wow, that was a learning experience! Next time I build one it will be much better than this one). So there, call it "professional development".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Has it got bicycle wheels?!

Andrew the Mechanic said...

Hahahaha! No, but they are taller and skinnier than your average motorcycle wheels--the rims are 23" rims that were originally front rims on 1979-1981 Honda XL250-500 street-trail bikes. I've done a couple of 21" conversions on old XL's because 23" tires are not easy to find. So I had these 23" rims just laying around, as well as a few 23" tires. I relaced the rims onto different hubs and you see the result.